Business Hardship – Border Closure Critical Support Grant Program
This program will be targeted at businesses operating in the tourism, hospitality, arts and events, seafood and transport (hire car, coach tours) sectors, and other business that are impacted by the lockdowns and border restrictions that are in place in other states. Grants of between $2,000 and $10,000 will be provided to successful applicants.
The support program will be available to businesses that have suffered a significant reduction* in turnover as a direct result of lockdowns and border closures in other states, as a result of:
- A reduction in the number of visitors being able to travel to the Tasmania; and/or
- A reduction in the ability to provide, sell or import/export goods and services.
*Reduction in turnover will be for a comparative period prior to 26 June 2021
- Be a Tasmanian business with a minimum annual turnover of $50,000 and be able to demonstrate being directly impacted by lockdown in other states and current border closures from Saturday 26 June 2021 to Friday 13 August 2021
- Be registered for tax purposes in Australia with continuously active ABN since on or before 1 May 2021
- Be an actively operating Tasmanian eligible business that has suffered a 30% reduction in turnover (total sales of goods and services to customers by the applicant) as a direct result of lockdowns in other states and current border closures from 26 June 2021.
Applications will be required to provide supporting evidence to demonstrate a reduction in turnover of 30% or more for the period Saturday 26 June 2021 to Friday 13 August 2021. This period should be compared with Saturday 8 May 2021 to Friday 25 June 2021.
- Be registered (if required) and actively using the Check in TAS App, or register at the time of submitting an application.
The amount of funding will be calculated by the Department of State Growth during the assessment process, using the information and evidence submitted by applicants, according to the impact and size of the business by annual turnover.
- 1. Sole Traders or small business operators ($2,000 grant) - Sole traders or businesses that do not employ staff and have been impacted by a reduction in turnover by 30 per cent or more.
- 2. Impacted small business with employees ($5,000 grant) - For those businesses that employ staff with annual turnover above $100 000 up to $1 million and have been impacted by a reduction in turnover by 30 per cent or more.
- 3. Impacted small business with employees ($10,000 grant) - For those businesses that employ staff with annual turnover above $1 million up to $10 million and have been impacted by a reduction in turnover by 30 per cent or more
How to Apply
Applications open 17 August 2021 and close 16 September 2021. Applications can be made via Business Tasmania’s website.
For detailed eligibility criteria and information for this grant, see the Program Guidelines.
The above details are based on the information available on Business Tasmania’s website as at 17 August 2021. As details are continually being updated in response to the on-going impact of COVID-19, we recommend you continue to check the government website to ensure you are kept up to date with the current information available.
If you require assistance in determining your eligibility, assistance with the application process or an Accountant’s Letter, our team at BLG Business Advisers is here to help so please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
We wish you and your business every success!